Seniors around the world are embracing the ancient art of meditation. This simple and inexpensive practice can be done almost anywhere and allows people to find peace both emotionally and physically. The trusted caregivers from Home Care Assistance, a premier Milwaukee home care agency, share some of the reasons why older adults should set aside time each day for meditation and self-reflection.
- Increased Memory Power – Specific areas of the brain are stimulated during meditation, which increases long and short-term memory recall. A senior’s memory is often affected by age, and retrieving memories can be difficult. Using meditation to activate and engage the brain helps to develop a healthier mind for many years to come.
- Longer Lifespan – Studies suggest there is a direct link between meditating and longevity, meaning seniors who practice meditation regularly may live a longer, healthier life.
- Better Digestive Health – Many meditating seniors find relief from nagging digestive problems because of the increase in circulation and enriched blood oxygen levels that occur after a meditative session. All the major organs, including the intestines and stomach, benefit from the deep breathing exercises that are part of any meditation programs.
- Slowed Progression of Cognitive Disorders – Alzheimer’s and dementia affect many of today’s senior citizens, but modern dementia care research is showing meditation may play a significant role in slowing the progression of cognitive conditions, helping to calm the stress and anxiety which often aggravates symptoms.
- Symptom Management – Meditation techniques can help manage the symptoms of chronic conditions including arthritis, asthma, anxiety, depression, and insomnia. A health care provider can advise seniors on how to best incorporate meditation into their regular treatment plan.
Meditation’s beneficial effects on the mind, body, and soul make it a great activity for older adults. Encourage your loved one to try a short meditation session, and if you’re a family caregiver, join in on the fun. You may enjoy some of meditation’s benefits yourself!
To learn more about senior care or for help caring for an aging parent or loved one, don’t hesitate to reach out to Home Care Assistance of Milwaukee. Our trusted Care Managers can answer your questions and help schedule a complimentary, no-obligation consultation. Call 414-964-8000 – we’re here to help.