We all know that spices add complex and robust flavor to meals, but did you know that many have health benefits as well? Milwaukee Home Care Assistance, a trusted senior home care provider, shares some of the best spices for senior diets. By incorporating the following into a senior loved one’s daily meals, you can ensure they’re enjoying flavorful food that promotes health, wellbeing, and quality of life.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is full of disease-fighting antioxidants, which promote a healthy heart and helps the body’s natural insulin work better, reducing glucose levels. Some studies also indicate cinnamon can prevent or slow the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Adding just half a teaspoon to the diet each day can be beneficial.
- Turmeric – Turmeric adds a savory boost to any meal. The spice also has strong anti-inflammatory benefits, relieving the pain of arthritis and other muscle and joint ailments common among the aging population. It has also been shown to help manage diabetes, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Ginger – While some may believe it to be just an old wives’ tale, numerous studies report ginger can relieve stomach and digestive issues, easing an upset stomach, nausea and diarrhea. Ginger can also be used for reducing pain felt in the muscles and joints.
- Oregano – Recently, many studies have shown that the Mediterranean Diet, comprised mostly of fresh fish, lean meat, fruits and vegetables, and Mediterranean spices like oregano, is one of the healthiest ways to eat. Oregano has anti-bacterial properties to help fight infections, and is also rich in antioxidants, helping to stave off diseases.
- Chili Pepper – Chili pepper adds a little heat to dishes, which can also increase senior metabolism and can clear congestion. New studies are showing that chili pepper is a natural pain reliever, can help lower cholesterol, and can boost overall immunity.
If you care for a parent and struggle to make healthy dishes or know your loved one isn’t eating the right types of foods at home, see how an in-home caregiver from Home Care Assistance of Milwaukee can help. Trained in our proprietary Balanced Care Method which promotes healthy eating, our caregivers can assist with grocery shopping and meal preparation, while also taking on other daily chores so you can take a break from your caregiving responsibilities.
For more information or to request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with an experienced Home Care Assistance Care Manager, call 414-964-8000.